Thursday, December 20, 2007

Julie A. Smith: Enter Into His Rest

This article comes courtesy of elijahlist.com.


julie smithEnter Into His Rest

Psalm 23:2-3, "He makes me lie down in (fresh, tender) green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters. He refreshes and restores my life--my self…"

A few nights ago, I couldn't sleep. I was wide awake as I listened to the storm roaring outside my bedroom window. Heavy winds and rains swept the city and will continue for the week. As I tried to fall asleep, I would go into a half awake/sleep state and would encounter the Lord most of the night. In this encounter, the Lord brought understanding of how "He works" when "we rest."

First, He started moving throughout my mind with His thoughts, bringing understanding to my everyday life. He revealed many situations where He was always with me and brought truth to situations where I lacked knowledge. Then He went on to reveal how He has protected and kept me out of harm's way. I saw Him continually with me, and He showed particular situations when even more protection was given as His angels were sent to minister to my every need. He also showed the Advocate He has always been--standing up for and defending me. I felt a cleansing and refreshing take place, and God said that "He can reveal Himself best when we are at rest."

As each situation was revealed, I felt cleansed, refreshed and realigned with the heart and truth of God. I understood how "rest" is one of the most important ways God ministers to us. It's when God comes in with His cleansing and refreshing power to make us new again. Just as the morning dew forms on the ground, it's a cleansing and refreshing to the land. And so the same is with us. Rest is when God realigns us with Him. While at rest, our thoughts and ways are at their peak of "being still" and that's when God can come in and bring refreshing and cleansing to our minds, souls and spirits. I then realized what was happening outside with the storm bringing the winds and rains of cleansing--was also happening inside of me.

As He walked through situations of my soul, revealing truth and understanding, He said, "This is what I do every night." I then saw the similarity to a janitor working the night shift. Whatever business the janitor is cleaning, he is responsible for cleansing the daily activities of the environment, bringing that day's business to a close and preparing it for business the next day.

Definition of Rest: the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep; refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor; relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs; a period of repose, solitude, or tranquility; mental or spiritual calm.

The Lord is saying for us to: "Enter into His Rest." There are revelations He wants to share with us about ourselves as we enter into His rest. The revelations are to realign and draw us closer to Him and prepare us for the next season of our lives. Let Him refresh, cleanse and speak tenderly to you in the night hours of your soul's rest.

I pray that each of you receive a refreshing and cleansing of the Lord in your resting hours of inactivity. I pray that He shows each of you how much He is at work in every detail of your life while you are at the peak of rest.

Peace and rest to you,

Julie A. Smith, Editor
The ElijahList

www.elijahlist.com

No comments:

Occasionally We have an Item up on Ebay -- Check it out!