Friday, November 30, 2007

GREAT QUOTES

These quotes come from- sermonindex.net - check it out.

"On the mountains, torrents flow right along, cutting their own
courses. But on the plains canals have to be dug out painfully by
men so that the water might flow. So among those who live on the
heights with God, the Holy Spirit makes its way through of its own
accord, whereas those who devote little time to prayer and
communion with God have to organize painfully." - Sadhu Sundar Singh

"Groanings which cannot be uttered are often prayers which
cannot be refused." - C. H. Spurgeon

"God's greatest gifts to man come through travail. Whether we
look into the spiritual or temporal sphere, can we discover
anything, any great reform, any beneficial discovery, any soul-
awakening revival, which did not come through the toils and tears,
the vigils and blood-shedding of men and women whose sufferings
were the pangs of Its birth?" - F. B. Meyer

"Some people become tired at the end of ten minutes or half an
hour of prayer. What will they do when they have to spend
Eternity in the presence of God? We must begin the habit here
and become used to being with God." - Sadhu Sundar Singh

"Prayer is reaching out after the unseen; fasting is letting go of all
that is seen and temporal. Fasting helps express, deepen,
confirm the resolution that we are ready to sacrifice anything,
even ourselves to attain what we seek for the kingdom of God."
- Andrew Murray

"Continuing instant in prayer (Rom. 12:12). The Greek is a
metaphor taken from hunting dogs that never give over the game
till they have their prey." - Thomas Brooks

"Trying to run a church without revivals can be done when you can
run a gasoline engine on buttermilk." - Billy Sunday

"If you are strangers to prayer you are strangers to power."
- Billy Sunday

"Shall I give you yet another reason why you should pray? I have
preached my very heart out. I could not say any more than I have
said. Will not your prayers accomplish that which my preaching
fails to do? Is it not likely that the Church has been putting forth
its preaching hand but not its praying hand? Oh dear friends! Let
us agonize in prayer." – C. H. Spurgeon

"All prayer is hidden. It is behind a closed door. The best spade
diggers go down into deep ditches out of sight. There are numbers
of surface workers, but few who in self-obliteration toil alone with
God." - Seth Joshua

"A church in the land without the Spirit is rather a curse than a
blessing. If you have not the Spirit of God, Christian worker,
remember that you stand in somebody else's way; you are a
fruitless tree standing where a fruitful tree might grow."– C. H. Spurgeon

"I was enabled to lie at Jesus' feet and to wash them with the
tears of contrition. No pleasure I have ever found in the Christian
life is superior to this." - Edward Payson

"In the evening I was favored with great faith and fervency in prayer.
It seemed as if God would deny me nothing, and I wrestled for
multitudes of souls, and could not help hoping there would be
revival here." - Edward Payson

"As I was walking in the fields, the thought came over me with
almost overwhelming power, that every one of my flock must soon
be in heaven or hell. Oh how I wished that I had a tongue like
thunder, that I might make all hear; or that I had a frame like iron,
that I might visit every one and say, 'Escape for thy life! Ah sinner!
You little know how I fear that you will lay the blame of your
damnation at my door." - Robert Murray M'Cheyne

"If revival is being withheld from us, it is because some idol
remains still enthroned; because we still insist in placing our
reliance in human schemes; because we still refuse to face the
unchangeable truth that 'It is not by might, but by My Spirit."
- Jonathan Goforth

"I had an overwhelming experience of the Lord's presence. I felt so
powerfully overcome by the nearness of the Holy Spirit that I had
to ask the Lord to draw back lest He kill me. It was so glorious
that I couldn't stand more than a small portion of it." - Mordecai Ham

"There are a lot of Christians who are halfway fellows. They stand
in the door, holding on to the Church with one hand while they
play with the toys of the world with the other. They are in the
doorway and we can't bring sinners in. And, until we get some of
God's people right, we cannot hope to get sinners regenerated.
Now they always accuse me of carrying around a sledge hammer
with which to pound the church members. Yes sir, I do pound
them, every time I come down, I knock one of the halfway fellows
out of the doorway, and every time I knock one out I get a sinner
in." - Mordecai Ham

No comments:

Occasionally We have an Item up on Ebay -- Check it out!