Sunday, April 13, 2008

James Goll: "Confessing Generational Sins and Positioned for an Open Heaven!"

Courtesy of elijahlist.com

James W. Goll

Revival in the Church!

SIN IS AN OBSTACLE THAT MUST BE CONFESSED TO BE REMOVED

A. Remove Every Obstacle

Isaiah tells us we are to "remove every obstacle out of the way of My people" (Isaiah 57:14)--to clear the way and remove the stones (Isaiah 62:10). This must first be done before we can fulfill the next admonition to build up (Isaiah 62:10), repair the breach, and restore the streets (Isaiah 58:12).

B. Blockades that Must be Removed

1. Psalm 66:18--"If I regard wickedness in my heart, the Lord will not hear (me)."

2. Proverbs 28:9--"He who turns away his ear from listening to the law, even his prayer is an abomination."

3. Deuteronomy 5:6-10--"I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in Heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments."

4. Proverbs 15:8--"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, but the prayer of the upright is His delight."

C. Confession Defined

1. From "Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words," confession means "to speak the same thing, to assent, accord, agree with;" denotes either:

a. To confess, declare, admit--John 1:20; Acts 24:14.
b. To confess by way of admitting oneself guilty of what one is accused of, the result of inward conviction--1 John 1:9.
c. To declare openly by way of speaking out freely, such confession being the effect of deep conviction of facts--Matthew 7:23, 10:32; Luke 12:8.

2. Definition of Confession from "Webster's Dictionary":

a. To tell or make known (as something wrong or damaging to oneself); to admit.
b. To acknowledge (sin) to God or to a priest.
c. To receive the confession of (a penitent).
d. To declare faith in or adherence to; to profess.
e. To give evidence of.

BIBLICAL EXAMPLES OF CONFESSING CORPORATE SIN

A. Daniel's Example

1. Meditation on the Word: Daniel was pondering on the words of Jeremiah 29:10-14 (this is stated in Daniel 9:2). He apparently was convicted and enlightened by the Scripture. This possibly occurred in the 63rd year of their Babylonian captivity.

2. He did not respond presumptuously, but rather sought for the Spirit's remedy so the promise could be fulfilled.

3. As he meditated on God's prophetic desire, he realized there were blockades that must be removed before the promise would be fulfilled.

4. He laid aside self-justification (Luke 18:12-13--the Pharisee and Publican syndrome).

5. He set his face to pray with humility (Daniel 9:3).

6. Daniel confessed their sin as his own (Daniel 9:4-17).

7. Then he pleaded with the Lord for mercy for His own name's sake (Daniel 9:18-19).

B. Nehemiah's Example

1. A report was brought to Nehemiah that saddened his heart. "They said to me, 'The remnant there in the province who survived the captivity are in great distress and reproach, and the wall of Jerusalem is broken down and its gates are burned with fire.'" (Nehemiah 1:3).

2. He then wept and mourned for days under this burden (Nehemiah 1:4).

3. This resulted in petitions beginning with respect and adoration (Nehemiah 1:5).

4. He then confessed the sin of the sons of Israel saying, "I and my father's house have sinned. We have acted very corruptly against You..." Nehemiah 1:6b-7a

5. Nehemiah then reminded God of His prophetic promise to Moses (Nehemiah 1:8-9).

6. He then made an appeal to God on the basis of His redemptive work which He has done (Nehemiah 1:10).

7. He also implored God for favor with the king and asked for success (Nehemiah 1:11).

C. Ezra's Example

1. The princes approached Ezra with a report concerning the abomination of the people; the priests and the Levites were intermarrying with the people of the land (Ezra 9:1-2).

2. Ezra then tore his garment and robe, plucked some of his hair and beard, and sat down appalled (Ezra 9:3); those who trembled at the words of God joined Ezra in shock and humiliation (Ezra 9:4).

3. Ezra then arose from his humiliation (fasting), fell on his knees and hands, and began to cry out to the Lord (Ezra 9:5).

4. He names the sin as his own, as a priestly spokesman before God, and states "their" iniquities, guilt, shame, and embarrassment (Ezra 9:6-7). Notice the complete absence of a self-righteous attitude.

5. He recalls God's grace, faithfulness, and lovingkindness; then acknowledges that God has requited them less than their iniquities deserve (Ezra 9:10-13).

6. He then speaks to the Lord concerning the importance of maintaining the remnant, and weeps bitterly with repentance before the house of God (Ezra 9:14-10:1).

7. Ezra calls the offenders forward over a three-day period to publicly repent (Ezra 10:5-8).

8. They are charged then with their sin and personal confession is made with a vow to do what is right (Ezra 10:9-17).

Positioned for an Open Heaven!

One of the most consistent ways that the Lord speaks to me is through "dreams." Once again, by the grace and faithfulness of God, the Holy Spirit gave me a very vivid, instructional dream. The dream was filled with color and emotions, but no words. I do feel that this dream has meaning for me in a personal manner and yet contains truths that are for the Body of Christ. So let me unfold it.

I was attempting to stand in a room where there was a low ceiling. It was an old room filled with religious senses all around it. It was a room representing the Church in its present condition and, in particular, the overall condition of the church where I live in Greater Nashville, Tennessee.

I was standing on the outer edge of the room, and I kept trying to stand up. As I would do this (my head would butt the ceiling), I could actually feel the weight of the stone ceiling on my head in the dream. I kept trying to raise the roof off by standing up, but it was not working. Then something like a giant, heavenly can opener came down from above and cut a huge hole in the stone roof. The hole appeared in the center of the room. I then moved from the outer edge to the center of the room, and as I did, I looked up.

The Sky was Filled with the Promises of God!

There was now a brilliant "open Heaven" stationed right over my head. The sky was blue, and there were beautiful clouds hovering. I could feel the warmth of the sun upon my body. The atmosphere was filled with faith, hope, love and life.

I then proceeded in the dream back to the edge of the room where the ceiling was still intact, and yes, still quite low. Again, I had to crouch down to get under the low ceiling. I attempted to stand upright, only to feel the weight of the ceiling suppressing me once again. So I stepped back into the center of the room. What a contrast!

There was clean air to breathe! There was light and no darkness. There was a sense of purpose and destiny fulfilled. I was now positioned correctly under an open Heaven, enabling me to achieve the purposes of God. I was centered and walking in the light.

Interpreting the Experience

As I woke up, I had several "knowings" as a result of this dream experience. Again, there were no audible words in this dream. But the feeling dimension was very alive! I did feel a word dropped inside of me, though, as I woke up: "Get positioned for an open Heaven."

God wants each of us to be properly aligned in this hour with Him and His purposes. He wants to lift the lid off the can, but we must position ourselves properly as this occurs. We must move from the side issues to the central ones. We must be centered on Him.

Walking in open Heavens deals more with His work versus ours. Our efforts to push through and even "stand uprightly" are acknowledged, but it is truly His work from above that creates a sustained place or open Heavens for His presence. He has the ability to break through even the hardest of places, circumstances and low ceilings. Again, in the dream, the Lord saw my efforts and acknowledged them, but then He did the work that I could not.

God's Divine Commentary

I found it quite interesting that the last word I released was on Creating an Open Heaven. I think the Lord had some divine commentary to add to my word. It is more about His work from above, than our work from beneath. He does respond, however, to our efforts. But we do not create an open Heaven--He does. He is the Creator; I am not. I am a responder to His great love and initiative. Yet, what goes up must come down!

So, get positioned for an open Heaven! Get into Kingdom alignment for such a time as this. Step out of the shadows of the side edges and move into the center of His word, will and ways. Be centered in Him; after all, being "centered in Christ" is the best place to be!

BLESSINGS TO YOU!

James W. Goll
Encounters Network

Email: info@encountersnetwork.com

No comments:

Occasionally We have an Item up on Ebay -- Check it out!