Monday, November 14, 2005


THE WORKS OF THE FATHER part 1

Since Joel, our son, reached 12 years old back in March, occassionally I will mention to him where Jesus was found and what He was doing at the age of 12. Joel has been a "Samuel" in the House of God since he was born. Much of our time is spent at the church and for most of that time, he was (and is) right there with us.

Little by little he is beginning to mature. It is such a pleasure watching this transformation. Although still loving the child play, we can see the changes that are bringing him toward becoming a young man.

Over the past 7 or 8 years Joel has played drums in an occasional service when he was needed and also filled in on the soundboard in "emergency" situations. Like Samuel, he has always been willing to serve when asked. Yesterday, due to an out-of-town youth conference where all of our sound personel were out of town, he was called upon to do sound (by himself) in the Sunday morning service. Although filling in many times before, I had never had to ask him to do it in a Sunday morning service when I wouldn't be there (I had to be at the prison).

As we talked about it throughout the week leading up to yesterday, I could sense that Joel was feeling some of the weight of the responsibility. I reminded him that Jesus was teaching the Scriptures in the temple when He was 12 -- He was doing His Father's business. I said to him that he too would be doing the works of his father (me) and of his heavenly Father by serving in the Body of Christ on Sunday in that position. Our talk seemed to put his mind at rest as he considered it in light of what Jesus was doing at age 12.

The reports I received when I got back to the church yesterday was that he did a very good job. Shirley was nearby in case something major happened, but by God's grace nothing major did go wrong. There were some minor problems, but everything was solved and I believe it was yet another step toward maturity for Joel.

I wrote about that incident because it goes along with chapter 9 from Bill Johnson's book, "When Heaven Invades Earth". We're reading this book right now during our family reading times. It is "A Practical Guide to a Life of Miracles" and it is packed full of nuggets of truth that will change us if we will begin to do THE WORKS OF THE FATHER in our daily lives. I would encourage you to pick up a copy of this book at the MUSIC AND BOOKSTORE link on our website -- www.loveandfire.net. It will be well worth your time and money.

So what's chapter 9 about? I'm glad you asked.

Jesus said, "Unless I do the works of the Father, do not believe me." John 10:37 What a bold statement! If I don't demonstrate in power what I am saying, you don't have to believe me. Bill Johnson says, "I hunger for the day when the church will make the same statements to the world. If we're not doing the miracles that Jesus did, you don't have to believe us."

That's risky business! That's laying it all on the line for the Father's business! Your ministry... your reputation... the call God has put on your life to follow Him... everything is linked to doing what we "see" the Father do. Jesus' passion in life was to please the Father and that should be ours.

By the way, Pastor Jim Pierce preached a powerful message yesterday about the "Milk and the Meat" that was along the same lines as this chapter. The meat is the doing of the Father's business. (If you would like a copy on CD, let me know and I'll get you one.)

This chapter is all about purpose. Jesus' purpose, or assignment, was to do the works of the Father and to destroy the works of the devil. These should be our purposes as well.

So, this 12 year old boy named Jesus gives us insight into His purpose on earth with the first and only recorded words he spoke, "Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" Bill says in the book, "Obeying the Father was His whole ambition. Those words were sufficient. Later in adulthood He confessed that obeying the Father remained His priority. It actually brought Him nourishment -- 'My food (meat) is to do the will of Him who sent me'".

Jesus said, "I can of myself do nothing," "I do not seek my own will but the will of my Father, and "I always do things that please Him".

Lord, let those thoughts be upon us. Let them be in our speech and let them be in our actions. Let them become such a part of us that we will never go back to "life as usual" but our passion will be to please the Father and do His works!


I've got some more on this chapter tomorrow.

No comments:

Occasionally We have an Item up on Ebay -- Check it out!