Tuesday, October 18, 2005

CSB FATHER/SON WEEKEND

This past weekend Joel and I were able to go (with 15 other dads and sons from our church) to Camp Hickory Hill for our annual fall campout. We joined with about 170 others from churches in western New York for a great time in the outdoors.

This year we were in for a real treat. The main speaker was a very talented juggler. Not only was he exceptional at his art/craft, but he had a good message throughout as he entertained. He absolutely had the boys (and us dads) attention throughout our weekend.

His message of "keep looking up" (because that's what you have to do when juggling) rang true as we related it to keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus.

Another message he had was about the "little" things in our lives that take up so much room that we don't have a place for the "big" things that really matter. This he demonstrated with big rocks and sand -- and it hit home for me.

This guys name is Nels Cremean and he has a website at www.injest.com. There's a 2 minute video that will give you an idea of his talents and his connection with the kids was intense. I would say he truly captivated Joel and the other boys.

The rest of the time at the camp with Joel was tremendous. From starting a campfire to shooting on the rifle range; from attacking the "fort" to sleeping in the cabin with the bunk beds; from good food to good friends, and even getting dad to join in on a rousing game of Battleball -- we truly cherished our time together.

By the time we got home I was physically wiped out. That was due in part to the "endless" Battleball game, but also due to Joel and his friends staying awake in the cabin and talking until 4 A.M.... but isn't that part of the fun of such a father/son adventure? I think so. So I tolerated it and ended up with only 2 hours of sleep that night. But sleep I can always catch up on later... this moment was between a father and a son -- and time was not a factor!!

I thought about Jesus getting up in the early early morning hours to meet with His Father. It must've been sheer joy -- a pleasure because it was His Father. And I thought about how the Father must feel when I, His son, miss some of our "meeting" times. I thought about what I would have felt like had Joel missed our meeting times at the camp...

Draw me close to You
Never let me go
I lay it all down again
to hear You say that I'm Your friend
You are my desire
No one else will do
cause no one else could take Your place
to feel the warmth of Your embrace...

O Father... Draw me close...

No comments:

Occasionally We have an Item up on Ebay -- Check it out!