Sunday, October 23, 2005


TEACHING INTO AN ENCOUNTER part 1

"Any revelation from God's Word that does not lead us to an encounter with God only serves to make us more religious. The Church cannot afford 'form without power,' for it creates Christians without purpose."

Those two sentences, written by the author of "WHEN HEAVEN INVADES EARTH", Bill Johnson, could rock our world (for the better) if we allow the truth in them to penetrate our hearts. As I read this book with my family and take these truths into my heart and then begin to act on them, I am experiencing the awesome living God -- a God who is not about words only, but about power.

Jesus said in John 14:11, "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. If not, believe because of the things I do." He was basically saying that if you don't believe His words then watch what He does. If teaching does not lead to demonstrations of power then of what use is it!

Bill Johnson says in chapter 8, "Bible teachers are to instruct in order to explain what they just did, or are about to do. Those who restrict themselves to mere words limit their gift, and may unintentionally lead believers to pride by increasing knowledge without an increased awareness of God's presence and power... There comes a time when simply knowing truth will no longer satisfy. If it does not change circumstances for good, what good is it?... Teaching MUST be followed with action that makes room for God to move."

As I have been teaching Prophetic Worship at our church over the past few weeks, I have been asking God to make it real -- to demonstrate what I am teaching... He has been faithful and we have seen His power as we have looked to Him! I have told the Holy Spirit I do not want to teach anything unless His power is there to demonstrate what I am teaching from His Word. I would rather keep my lips closed than just babble on with some teaching that does not have the life of the Spirit. I don't want to continue on with worship in "Moses' Tabernacle" when the Ark of the Covenant has moved to "David's Tabernacle".

Holy Spirit lead me in Your ways. When I teach, help me to follow You and leave room for Your power to be demonstrated -- for "the kingdom of God is not in word but in power".

There's more I want to share on this chapter tomorrow.

If you don't have a copy of this book you should get one. I believe this book will impact your life. You can find "WHEN HEAVEN INVADES EARTH" for a 21% discount in our bookstore at www.loveandfire.net (then click on the menu item "Music and Bookstore").

No comments:

Occasionally We have an Item up on Ebay -- Check it out!